How to Light a Coal Fire
Lighting a coal fire is a simple process, especially when you have the right tools and the right know how! We have put together some simple to follow coal fire lighting instructions below.
The secret to a strong and roaring coal fire is to create a small combustion chamber which allows the fire to take hold quickly and high temperatures reach without delay.
- Taking a clean fire grate, place two firelighters and position them in a V shape against the back wall of the appliance
- Build a combustion chamber around the firelighters. To do so place two pieces of kindling one on top of the other, on top of the kindling. Add around six or seven more pieces of kindling at right angles against the centre stack. Be careful to make sure you can still reach the firelighters with a match.
- Light the firelighters and add another pieces of kindling to fill in the remaining gap.
- Add a generous amount of coal onto the burning pile, particularly on the burning kindling.
- If operating a closed appliance such as a multi-fuel stove then leave the door open slightly to allow an air flow into the fire. Once the fire is established you can close the door and fully open the air vents.
It really is as simple as that to light a coal fire. Then you can sit back and enjoy a warming fire for several hours.
0345 450 0778